Monday, July 24, 2006

Can't Have Anything Nice...

Having one of those days, I guess.

Today, after pondering over the weekend the wisdom of repairing our washing machine and somewhat seriously considered moving to a mountain retreat where electricity was unheard of so we could legally wash our clothes in a stream, we spent $270 to repair it. That's $270 out of the Christmas fund. That's $270 out of next year's vacation fund (which, likely would have been camping at Garner State Park - if it's still open). That's $270 that we won't have to change the oil in the car - which will lead to more mechanical failures and more money down the road. Man, that mountain stream is looking more and more invitin'!!

On Saturday, out of desparation and a refusal to take our dirty laundry outside the house, we put some of our more 'necessary items' (read: underwear) in the bathtub. Using our kids' feet as agitators, we washed our clothes. When they got tired, we took over. We did two rinse cycles, complete with fabric softener. Then my feet and the hands of my wife and I wrung the water out of the clothes so we could put them in the dryer. It worked. In fact, those clothes are some of the brightest I've seen in a while. I think my wife's gonna kill me for publishing this fact. But we got a taste of that mountain stream...

So today we spent the money to repair the washer. After the first load, I find a spring in the bottom of the washer. I called GE and they said, "We can have someone out there on Thursday." I said no way and found the tech's cell phone on caller ID. Being a technician myself, and knowing the horror of someone actually calling your private line for 'free advice', I made it clear why I was calling.

He laughed and said, "I accidentally dumped my toolbox in the tub of the washer. I thought I got everything out! The part you described is from a dishwasher. It's not part of your washer." I thanked him and promised him this would be the only time I called him on this line.

So, I don't have to wait until Thursday to find out I can use my washer. Probably saved my $70 for the service call, too!

Anyway, I'm rambling. After spending the money, I get an offer to be an election judge for a Municipal Utility District (MUD) election. After hearing that it pays, I heartily accept. Well, just paid for the washer repair! Things are looking up again! I begin to wash clothes. And I wash clothes. And I forgot to turn on the dryer. And I have to wait for that load to dry... Oh yeah! Fix dinner! Get dinner done, keep folding clothes... Wife's gotta get up early in the morning and goes to bed before the kids.

Here's the part that really got my blood boiling, and the reason for the post (and for the title of the post). Getting the kids ready for bed, my youngest goes clear around the edge of the living room and trips over the power cord to my wife's laptop. The laptop that I managed to find enough spare parts to build. The laptop that I've poured a lot of time and energy into. The laptop that she loves 'cuz she hates being tied down to a desktop. It was supposed to be a birthday present in 2005, but took me so long to complete that it was a Mother's Day present (three months later). It's not much, it's an old PentiumII-300MHz with 64MB RAM and a 4GB HDD. I mean, $500 could get a much nicer machine today. There was no network built in, so she'd been forced to use Wi-Fi (Yeah, I did spring for a USB 802.11g and a wireless router). Life's tough, right?

So she trips over the power cord and pulls the laptop on the floor. I was getting her bed ready for the night (her matress pad had been waiting for the laundry to be working). My oldest came in and told me what happened. In her hands were the pieces of the USB 802.11g network adapter. Only one piece is missing: The USB plug. In other words, it's broken. I was irate. I put the girls in bed and went and scrounged the parts. I think it's all there, but I am not a soldering technician. I don't like using solder, and there's a reason for it. Perhaps if I could handle a solder iron, I could fix it.

I can't figure out why we can't have anything. The girls insist on breaking everything we have. Why do they do it? If they're not breaking something, then time breaks it - like the washer. Either way, we're not allowed to have anything nice.

'Course, Jesus did talk about this. And writing about it is therapeutic in a way...Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. - Matthew 6:19-21, NIV

See, my treasures won't be destroyed by moth and rust, rather by my children. They've destroyed keepsakes from my childhood and dishes and gadgets we use every day.

But more importantly, they've destroyed the bond that kept me tied to my job and away from my family. Without them, I would have been a work-a-holic. (My wife's rolling her eyes saying, "Yeah, right!") Am I better off, then, without the stuff? I think so. I've gotten a handle on what's more important in life. Though in the heat of the moment I may fail to recognize it.

Prayer


Heavenly Father. You have dispensed grace upon those of us who did not deserve it. Help us to share that grace with those around us that we feel do not deserve it. Our attachment to material things is not what you have asked. You have asked that we divorce ourselves from these things.

Forgive us for not letting go. Help us to be the role models you want us to be for our children, and for the world. Help us to understand that our piddly 'treasures' won't even hold a candle to what you've promised us!

Help us forgive others when, through ignorance or intent, they destroy what we have. Guide our emotions to your forgiveness. Remind us of how we've grieved you and that you have chosen to discard our actions.

Thank you for cleansing our spirits, Father. Bless those we contact today. Shine your Light through us, so that others may see you in us.

In Christ's Holy Name we pray,
Amen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Simpsongirl said...

My friend, I have been in that position many times myself. Sometimes I say to Julia, "It's OK you matter more to me than _____" If you say it enough times, you really start to mean it. :-)

There is an old hymn "Heaven Holds All to Me". It was written ages ago - because I remember my grandpa leading it at his church. Here are some of the words:

"Earth holds no treasures but perish with using, however precious they be. Yet there's a country to which I am going, heaven holds all to me."

People sang that in their churches during the Great Depression, and for years since. You are not alone in your feelings.

26/7/06 06:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home