Thursday, March 23, 2006

Quality of Life

Someone once asked me how I felt about euthanasia. I replied (in my smart-alecky way), "I think they really took it in the shorts in Tienamen Square!"

Seriously, though. This is a very important topic. Some are inclined to believe that just 'cuz someone's quality of life isn't what the rest of us think it should be, that person should be eliminated. Case in point: A friend of the family was in his 30s when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. His friends wouldn't play golf with him anymore because he was so slow. Basically, he was abandoned. So, he took a gun and blew his brains out. I was told that this is a good reason for euthanasia. I think it's a good example of why euthanasia should not be even considerable.

Another example: I wanted to die. I thought my life was as bad as it could get. There was no way it could be any worse. First off, I was wrong - it could get worse. Secondly, it really wasn't that bad. Someone ministered to me when I was down and out. Someone cared enough about me to get off their duff and tell me that the most powerful being in the universe cared about me. I was then led to the light, and taught that no matter how dark the world appears, there is something special to be found.

So, into my life that was filled with anger, booze and emotional disorders, came God. He showed me how beautiful my life wias, even with all the problems. He showed me that I had something to offer the world. I began to reach out to those who have suffered like I have. I began to share God's love with drunks and people with emotional disorders.

After I was told that this man's death was a good reason for euthanasia, I responded, "Think of the testimony he would have had if only someone had ministered to him! Instead of throwing him away because of his disease, bring him up and teach him about life! He could have been an agent for change rather than a dead man."

I commented before about how the infirm can help teach God's love without even saying a word. It's all up to us. We can share God's love with everyone - regardless of their, or our, abilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home