Friday, February 24, 2006

How to be an Effective Christian

Reading: 1 Peter 2

Podcast for this message available. Click Here

Carrying signs, chanting slogans, blowing up abortion clinics, praising the enemy. These are all ways that Christians have thought to get the message out. Have any of them worked? Yeah, they've grabbed the media's attention, but it sure hasn't been positive. I've been told while witnessing that people really don't want to be part of that. It has soiled the Body of Christ and made it unattractive.

How, then, do we get our message across? "Rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."

1 Peter 2:1-3, NIV

That's step one. Vengeance for the death of an unborn baby is malice. Hating people in the name of Christ is hypocrisy. Wishing my church was as big as the one across the street is envy. Giving the Body a black eye by your actions is slandering the name of Christ.

You have tasted that the Lord is good. You know what He can provide. Share that with others who need to hear it. Share the Lord's milk with all you meet. That milk is love. Berate a sinner for his actions, he will only rebel. Love a sinner in spite of his actions, you are acting as God has toward you. God's love for you exceeds your sins, and you know it. Why not do the same for others?

"Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."

1 Peter 2:11-12, NIV

Our actions among the pagans show our true selves. If we claim to be Christians, we must act as Christians. Follow the guidance of the Spirit.

Allow me to share an experience from my past. Raised in the church, I believed that I was saved; a member of the Body of Christ. I had attended church, listened to the sermons, even tried to read my Bible. I learned the memory verses. I sang in the choir. I talked the talk. But my daily actions showed otherwise. I drank to excess. I spent nearly all my money in topless joints. I lived for myself with no regard for fellow people. When I did help others, it was only for my glory, not the Lord's. Was I a true believer? I seriously thought I was.

Since my birthday, I have learned the error of my ways, and it grieves me. A devout atheist friend shared food with a homeless person but the Christian wouldn't. I would sing in the choir on Sunday morning with a hangover. I would sit in bars, drunk, and tell others I was a Christian. Many other sins too numerous to count, all while spouting my righteousness.

With that experience, I need to ask: Do you truly know the Lord? Are you living a double-life? Are you a hypocrite? Do you need to re-examine your walk? Read on.

"It is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God."

1 Peter 2:15-16, NIV

The boldface is mine, to emphasize a point. By doing good, not by spouting empty words. As the 80's band Def Leppard put it: "Gimme Action! Action! Action, not words". Our actions speak much louder than our words. One's heart is visible through actions. A modern cliche illustrates this: "Practice what you preach."

Again, I ask: Do you truly know the Lord? Can you feel the Holy Spirit moving inside you to change your lifestyle, your dreams, your goals and pleasures? Do you truly know the peace of God? Have you fully turned your life over to Him? Read on.

It is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth." When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

1 Peter 2:19-25, NIV



I am still learning how to do this. When I am rightly accused, I lay low and take my punishment like a man. If, however, I am falsely accused, I fight tooth and nail, screaming and cursing as I am dragged down. By my actions, I am dirtying the image of the Body of Christ. To follow Christ's example, to live as Christ, to be a Christian (or Christ-like), I must monitor all my actions. Not that I should accept punishment if wrongly accused, but defend myself in a civil manner; pay the proper respect due the accuser.

Do you know the Lord? Do you feel the Spirit guiding your thoughts and deeds? Are you convicted by the Spirit when you do wrong? Do you yield to the Spirit and change your ways? It's hard to know what you are missing if you haven't felt it. I know that from my experience. But there's more to being a Christian than getting converts. There is no heavenly scorecard being kept for all your harvest.

You may be able to fool men about your relationship with Christ. You cannot fool Him. He knows what is in your heart. He will deny ever knowing you. "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"

Matthew 7:21-23, NIV



I invite you to pray with me now. "Almighty Father in Heaven, Maker of all there is, hear my prayer. Lord, I am a sinner. I have done wrong. I do not know You. Make Yourself real to me. Show me Your peace. Enter my heart and remove all the impurities. Replace them with Your Spirit and purity. Mold me into a creature of Your likeness. Make me new. Thank You for creating a new being inside of me. In Jesus' Holy Name, Amen."

Saying this prayer, and truly meaning it, brings salvation. Saying this prayer, and truly meaning it, will bring you to a new life. It did for me, and it did for millions before you. Be a non-conformist. Invite Christ to rule in your life. Find the joy of a new life. Find the peace. Learn how to share it with others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home