Thursday, March 09, 2006

Minister to the sick. Teach love.

This week, I've been at my grandmother-in-law's house. She is in the final stages of Alzheimer's and requires constant supervision. My mother-in-law and her sister have left their homes to take care of her after Hurricane Rita forced Grannie to leave Biloxi, Mississippi. They are both over 1,000 miles from their homes.

Though I've talked with them on the phone, and though my wife came up in December to help, I had no idea the magnitude of the situation. Since Grannie requires constant supervision (She cannot walk, wears diapers, can be a fighter, etc.), they cannot leave the house together. There is no such thing as time off for the care-givers.

When we came up, the first thing we did was give my mother-in-law and her sister a day off. They had not had one since December. They have asked for help, but due to miscommunication, none was forthcoming.

The experience has made me think. Wednesday night, the preacher spoke about Peter and John healing a lame man. He explained how God used the spectacle to allow Peter and John to teach (preach) about Jesus. He explained that God's miracles are to bring glory to Him.

Well, I began to think that God may also use infirmity to bring glory to Himself. In the case of Grannie, He is using this to touch the heart of one who has long thought of the church as enemies. She is faithful, but she believes the church has nothing to offer her. She is my mother-in-law. She has been betrayed by the church on numerous occasions. The church can demonstrate their love for her by caring for the sick. Perhaps this love demonstrated can show her that the church is truly the Body of Christ.

I have also come to an understanding of what it means to be in the Body of Christ. There are many shut-ins that are members of my home church. I have avoided them because they make me nervous. I have no idea if their care-takers have a chance for a day off or not. I do not know if they can afford home care or not. I have decided that I, though I have very little material goods, can give of myself. I can give my time. I can give my muscles. I can minister to the well by caring for the sick.


This week has taught me about life, aging, friends, family and being a Christian. I will be digesting my experiences over the next few weeks and writing about them here.

Prayer:


Almighty Father in Heaven, all things turn for your glory. Father, you heal those whom you want to heal, and you allow others to be sick -- all for your glory. We know you love everyone and it pains your heart to see anyone suffer. Still, you teach us love by allowing suffering. You are all-powerful and wise.

Father, thank you for the health you have given us. Thank you for able, strong bodies that can lift the weak. Thank you for knowledge to care for those that cannot care for themselves. Thank you for humble hearts that give us the push we need to care for others - even when it's nasty and yucky.

Father, grant us the gifts we need to reach out to those who are weaker than us. Give us caring hearts, patience and strength. Most of all, Father, give us love.

In Jesus' Holy Name we pray,
Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home