Friday, April 21, 2006

Stormy Morning

Seems like every couple of years we get a storm that knocks out our power for an extended period of time. We've been in this house for 6 1/2 years, and this is the third one. Well, the power went out while I was working on a nice, long post at FHL Forums. And, I'd just gotten my desktop hooked up so I was using it. That means, when the power went out, I lost my post.

Big Daddy's Raspberry
Well, the power went out at about 6:00 this morning. I'm listening to the radio (KSBJ - you can get it where you are via the 'net!), and we're on the edge of the tornado warning. Now we've got a candle going, and I'm working on my laptop. When it's not connected to the network (which is down right now due to lack of power! :) ), I get a couple hours of battery life. Not too bad.
Well, I'm rambling right now. (Is that appropriate?)
My girls got up - the thunder and lightning scared them. I lit a candle and I've got nice God music playing on the radio. I pulled out the sofa bed and they're snuggled up on it. My little one is terrified. Big sister is holding her. We are incommunicado 'cuz I let my cell phone lapse, and without power our VOIP is down. I need to get a backup power system. My wife got to work before the storm started. There was a lot of lightning when she left.
We're very close to the Fort Bend/Harris County line (on the Harris County side) and Fort Bend County is under a tornado warning until 6:35am. It's 6:30 right now. A severe thunderstorm warning for Harris (and surrounding) County until 7:00 am. I'm completely in the dark - no lights inside or out. But Fort Bend County is large, and, though I don't know where the tornadic storm is, I can be about 95% sure it's not near our neck of the woods.
Of course, this won't be posted until the lights come back on. What's frustrating is that I got up early (5:00) to work on my web page. All my stuff is stored on a server which is down right now.


Well, apparently, God has bigger things in store for me today than working on my webpage. I've got the windows open and the radio on. I'm keeping my kids calm. I'm watching God's light show and listening to His drum solo. If anyone knows how to play the drums, it's Him!
6:40 - there's still a lot of thunder and lightning, but the rain's let up. I think the storm has passed to the east. When the power comes up, I'll download a radar loop and post it along with this. There are about 20 counties under a severe thunderstorm warning, and Chuck Swindoll just came on the radio. He's always a calming influence. The kids like the radio, it's keeping them calm.
I'll post more later.
Well, 7:17 now. The lights came back on. I'm getting breakfast ready for the kids. I'll find the radar loop and download it.

Fun morning! Adios!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home