Friday, June 02, 2006

Can we REALLY live under the law?

Is it possible for a human being to live under law? Why would you want to?
Galatians 3:10-14
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith." The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them." Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.


Living under the law is a curse. Is one capable of being 100% pure and holy? Have you ever, even for a fleeting moment, thought about sinning? "Hey, she's hot! I'd really like to..." That, my friend is a sin. Did you pray to God at that moment and ask forgiveness? What if you'd died while that thought was in your head? Would you be resting in His favor or would you be barbecued?

Living under the law is what drives many away from the church of Christ - and, quite honestly, keeps them away from church at all. When one realizes that living a holy life is unattainable, they decide that there's no use in trying. Why try if all that work means you're only going to be condemned in the end? "If I'm going to hell anyway, I may as well enjoy the ride!" I spoke those words after a Navy chaplain - a man to whom I'd gone for counseling and reconciliation - told me "Jesus doesn't want people like you". I then embarked on a life of drunken revelry.

Romans 3:19-20
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.


God knew we couldn't live up to His standards. They're too high. That's why he made available atonement through sacrifice. He knew we would all need it. People became more attached to the "law" than to God. A new order was created - the Pharisees. They were self-appointed "God's police", as if He needed police. Their job was to ensure nobody broke the letter of the Law. But in doing so, they missed the spirit of the Law. They gave to the temple, but only because they were commanded to do so. They worshipped in a manner pleasing to God, but only because they were commanded to do so. Their hearts were empty and God knew it.

His Holy Word put on flesh and came to Earth as a human being: the Messiah, the Christ. The reason - to be a sacrifice. To be cursed in order to lift our curse.

Romans 3:21-26
But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.
- the emphasis was mine.

Our righteousnes comes through Christ. That's it. We cannot be holy, so Christ is our holiness. Obedience is a symbol of our faith in Christ. Disobedience is not a question of salvation (because my child disobeys me, I do not disown her), rather a question of faith - and that is not necessarily for others to decide. Others can bring the disobedience to light, in a private conversation or (if necessary in very rare instances) by following the example in 1 Corinthians 5.

My friends, I am a sinner. I am not worthy of God's favor. I cannot be; it is an impossible task for me. Yet, I am justified and holy through Christ. I am obedient to His command because I desire it, not because I am fearful of any consequences. My obedience will not get me into Heaven, nor will disobedience get me barbecued in the lake of fire. They are rewarded and chastised (respectively), quite often in this lifetime. I will die with a disease acquired from my promiscuous lifestyle (hepatitis B). My credit is shot, and nobody will give me credit at a decent rate (but they will give it to identity thieves!).

Teaching grace is sadly lacking in the traditional church of Christ. Grace is our only hope. Without grace, our lives are meaningless; our deaths, final. Without grace we will face God's wrath as an unbeliever. Without grace, my every indiscretion would remain with me throughout my entire existence - both on this world and after. Without grace, I would not rest with my Heavenly Father.

Can one REALLY live under the law? No. With Christ, we don't have to.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clay, you're right on target...keep calling 'em like you seez 'em,, my friend!

4/6/06 20:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home