Thursday, June 15, 2006

Going to Prison

Tonight, I went to prison. Yeah, I know - you're saying, "I thought Clay was such a good guy. Yeah, he rambles a little bit, but overall he's a good guy."

Well, it's not what you think. I went there on a prison ministry program. I'm hooked. I met a guy who reminded me so much of me about 20 years ago. It was scary. Here he was, in his white pajamas, telling me about his life. Though he wasn't interested in studying the Bible, he did want to talk about life. When I told him about where I'd been, he felt he could relate to me.

In a nutshell (Read the whole gory story here), my story is two months in the Navy Brig, three years drunk and three years medicated for bipolar disorder. There ya go. None of those is who I am now that God has his hand in my life. So, this guy was pretty close. Only he's in prison for a little longer than two months; he's got two years.

I'd felt nudged to check out prison ministry for quite a while. Now, I think it may be a route to follow. I've got a lot of giving to do, and I can give a lot here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clay,

That is really cool that you are getting involved with prison ministry. It always struck me as an important way to follow Jesus' footsteps, especially since he talks about those in prison. I have the heart for it, but I have always been afraid... probably not the best ministry for a woman anyway, but I applaud you for doing it.

18/6/06 15:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home